How does CBD oil improve mood?
CBD oil may improve mood by helping your body restore balance – known as homeostasis. In short, CBD helps your body heal itself by providing much needed endocannabinoids.
Human beings – all mammals in fact – have an endocannabinoid system (ECS). This system in your body is responsible for maintaining balance between all your other biological systems (e.g. sleep, mood, memory, appetite, reproduction, and pain sensation). As the name suggests, the system needs cannabinoids – a group of chemical compounds found in hemp or cannabis.
Chances are, if you do not take CBD or cannabis, you are low in cannabinoids which means your ECS is not functioning optimally. This in turn impacts the systems the ECS is trying to balance and you will experience issues with sleep, mood, pain etc. If you can provide your ECS with the cannabinoids it needs, it can begin to restore your body to homeostasis – optimal balance – and resolve many of the symptoms of disease you may be experiencing.
Grappling with anxiety, depression and other mood disorders can be incredibly difficult, and some people who struggle with these issues find themselves asking, “Does CBD oil improve mood?” It’s no secret that finding an effective treatment for mood disorders can be very challenging. Now, there is growing evidence that suggests CBD oil, which is also known as cannabidiol oil, can provide another option for doctors and patients working to manage mood issues.
CBD is not “doing” anything
A concept you will often hear is that CBD is not “doing” anything – it’s feeding your – and it’s your ECS that brings about the amazing health results. CBD is the fuel that gets your car (body and mind) to its destination (better health).
Low mood is a sign that your body is out of balance. It could be your body’s reaction to an underlying, undiscovered cause (e.g. hidden inflammation, infection, stress, low levels of anandamide etc.) Most people’s reaction is to reach for pharmaceuticals. While pharmaceuticals certainly have a role, they can also bring the body further out of balance (homeostasis). Often, taking a drug can throw your body out of balance elsewhere resulting in side effects. Then, we’re prescribed more medication to treat those side effects and that further unbalances us elsewhere. So we take more drugs and so on…
We’re not saying quit your medication – we’re certainly not saying that – and don’t do that without consulting with your doctor and healthcare team. But CBD may have a role in helping restore some of the balance in your body that called for drug treatment in the first place.
CBD oil and cannabis
As you begin explore the possibility of improving your mood with CBD oil, it’s only natural to wonder what CBD oil is and where it comes from. To do that, you will need to learn a bit about cannabis, a herbaceous annual has several possible uses. It can be transformed into a diverse assortment of products, including CBD oil, recreational and medical cannabis, and hemp fibres, seeds and oils. In fact, CBD is just one of more than 80 compounds found in the cannabis plant. These compounds are called cannabinoids, and each has a unique effect.
CBD oil and health
Medical researchers are extremely interested in the potential use of CBD oil to improve mood and treat various other health problems. CBD is not psychoactive, so its use will not produce a high, but it may be able to help in the treatment of a wide array of conditions. It also tends to be well-tolerated by most people; doses up to 600 mg can generally be taken without triggering psychotic symptoms or other unpleasant side effects.
Improving mood with CBD oil
How does CBD oil work to treat anxiety, depression and other mood disorders? It seems that this particular cannabinoid has several qualities that scientists believe might play a role in the compound’s ability to improve mood. CBD is:
- An anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is recognized as a factor in a wide range of health troubles, so it is unsurprising that neuroinflammation is linked with neuropsychiatric and mood disorders. Studies demonstrate that CBD improves mood, anxiety and cognitive function by reducing this neuroinflammation.
- A neuroprotective. CBD may protect brain health; insufficient oxygenation often results in damage or death of brain cells, but evidence suggests that CBD can act as a preventative, preserving brain cells.
- An antipsychotic. While researchers do not fully understand the mechanisms behind CBD’s antipsychotic properties, one theory points to the indirect modulation of dopaminergic transmission.
- Supportive of hippocampal neurogenesis. Some scientists believe that hippocampal neurogenesis, the growth of new neurons in the brain’s hippocampus, helps to moderate mood disorders. Research demonstrates that CBD causes hippocampal neurogenesis in animals, and it is thought to have the same effect in humans.
- A mild antidepressant. When looking at mood disorders and CBD oil, it is worth noting that CBD is thought to enhance mood and function as a mild depressant. While the effect is not strong enough to make this a viable treatment for severe depression, it might be considered as an adjunctive therapy.
- Good at relieving pain. Being in pain hurts more than the body. Chronic pain is strongly associated with depression, anxiety and other mood issues. Thankfully, CBD oil can provide welcome relief because it is effective in reducing pain.
- Beneficial for sleep. Sleep is often underrated, but it is a critical component of wellness. Unfortunately, individuals with mood disorders often find quality sleep elusive. Making a bad situation worse, insomnia can trigger anxiety and low mood. CBD may offer a way to break this cruel cycle. It has been shown to improve sleep quality and restore normal REM sleep.
Advantages of using CBD to improve mood
Many medications intended to help combat a problem come with unpleasant side effects. For example, many anxiolytics, drugs intended to combat anxiety, are known to carry a risk for drowsiness, brain fog, memory troubles and sexual dysfunction. For individuals dealing with mood disorders, CBD oil is an appealing alternative because it presents no significant side effects when compared to a placebo. CBD oil also acts quickly, improving the mood of a person who takes it appropriately almost instantly, so it can be taken on an as-needed basis. In addition, it seems to be a safe choice; most research indicates that a quality CBD oil used correctly is as safe as a placebo. Finally, there is reason to believe that this potent product can boost immune function, reduce muscle spasms, control blood sugar, and slow the growth of cancer cells and bacteria. Frankly, improving your mood with CBD oil might also improve your overall health.
Could CBD oil be a good choice for you? Thanks to growing interest from both the medical community and the general public, an impressive number of products are now available. If you’re interested in trying CBD oil, consider talking with your doctor or another health care professional and be sure to choose a quality product from a reputable source. If it works well for you, you may find that your focus shifts from concerns like does CBD oil improve mood to queries about why you waited to try it.